Jorhat AFS is the Indian Air Force’s first air base in the East. It is primarily a transport base for launching aircraft that carry out airdrops in the Naga Hills in Nagaland and Arunachal Pradesh. It is equipped with two squadrons of An-32 transport aircraft and air logistics are provided from Jorhat to the Kameng, Subansiri, Siang, Lohit and Tirap districts of Arunachal Pradesh. AFS Jorhat was formed in August 1952 as the first AFS in eastern Sector. The station was designated as 10 Wing in 1958. Eight years after the end of World War Il on August 1, 1952, the Station Dett at Jorhat was upgraded to an independent Station with a permanent detachment of Dakota aircraft from Barrackpore.